Thursday, February 07, 2008

Slash: one of the major guitar players I was attracted to was definitely Davey.

Elton John: Davey Johnstone is one of Slash's favorite musicians
Slash lists Davey Johnstone as one his musical favorites;

Artist: Davey Johnstone

Backstory: The longtime lead guitarist in Elton John's band, Johnstone plays with equal taste and fire. He has also worked with Alice Cooper, Bob Seger, Joan Armatrading and others. Some of his most memorable playing with Elton John includes the riff-happy “Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting” and the epic ballad “Candle in the Wind.”

Slash: “This will probably be the first time I've been prompted to say this in an interview, but when I think of '70s rock guitar – which I was hugely influenced by – one of the major guitar players I was attracted to was definitely Davey. His playing is very melodic and always appropriate for the song.”

No comments: